The façade and street · the succession

Hoher Weg 27

The shop is gone. The records preserve its corner, glass-roofed interior, public voice and the name that replaced Reichenbach under Nazi rule.

The building file · 1913 and 2004

The façade is known through the building record.

Lüdemann and Kröger’s published 2004 plate reconstructs the connected plan and street elevations from Halberstadt’s municipal building files, whose drawings span November 1910 through December 1913. It is a scholarly reconstruction, not an original 1913 measured drawing. The archive’s separate AI façade image is an interpretive presentation; it is not a scan or facsimile.

Monika Lüdemann’s 2004 study reconstructs the connected ground plan and 1913 street elevations of Hoher Weg 27 and Martiniplan 10, drawn by Nicola Kröger from the cited municipal building files. The plate lets us see how the two street fronts joined. Exact dimensions and linework still have to be checked against the original municipal drawings.RB-PHO-0020Open source record

A scholarly reconstruction

One plate reconnects Hoher Weg and Martiniplan.

Monika Lüdemann’s study places the connected ground plan above the Hoher Weg and Martiniplan elevations. The plate credits the reconstruction to Lüdemann and the drawing to Nicola Kröger, and the following page cites Stadtarchiv Halberstadt, Stadtbauamt 2/2485 and 2/2486.

The plate should be read as a transparent secondary reconstruction from those files. Exact dimensions and linework still belong to the original municipal drawings.

AI reconstruction · interpretive, not an original scan

AI-generated reconstruction of an architectural elevation headed Umbau J. Reichenbach Hoherweg Nr. 27, showing the remodeled department-store façadeReconstruction and provenance · 2 viewsAI reconstruction of the J. Reichenbach façade drawing and provenance viewThe labeled 2026 interpretation is followed by the museum display that identifies Stadtbauamt files 2/2485 and 2/2486. Exact details must be checked against the original document.Open all views

Select any view for a larger image, source and archive details.

AI reconstruction based on the December 1913 façade document for J. Reichenbach at Hoher Weg 27; this is not a scan of the original.RB-PHO-0321
A museum display identifies the drawing’s municipal building files and their November 1910 to December 1913 date range. The display connects the plan to municipal files dated from November 1910 to December 1913. The venue and date of this photograph remain unrecorded.RB-PHO-0322

Inside the Lichthof · 1925–1930

The plans become a working sales floor.

The surviving interior view runs from the curved staircase through counters and stocked wall shelving to the rear of the store. Its upper balustrade makes the two selling levels read as one room.

Three museum copies preserve the same scene. Their mounts, crops and catalogue notes show how the photograph was preserved and described over time.

Long sales floor inside Kaufhaus Reichenbach with a curved staircase at left, counters through the center and shelves along the right wallMunicipal photograph group · 3 viewsInside Kaufhaus ReichenbachA direct slide and two mounted prints preserve the same sales-floor photograph and its catalogue history.Open all views

Select any view for a larger image, source and archive details.

The sales floor joins the building plans to a working interior: staircase, counters, shelving and the upper gallery occupy one continuous space. The museum catalogue does not name the photographer, and the faded slide cannot tell us who was working in the room.AH-F-DS-0580Open source record
A museum-mounted 1925 print preserves the same sales-floor view with its contemporary catalogue label and signature. The mount shows how the museum kept and catalogued the photograph, not a different room.AH-F-05499aOpen source record
A second mounted print preserves the same interior photograph with a different crop and catalogue mount. Its changed crop does not establish a second room or a second date.AH-F-05499bOpen source record

The whole building

The façade survives in several records.

The family-held night photograph records the tall glazed wall and illuminated displays, but its surviving frame does not show the complete building. Four daytime municipal photographs supply the missing façade, block and street context; an open-use 1909 photograph shows Hoher Weg as a retail street before the Reichenbach rebuild.

Sources: Städtisches Museum Halberstadt; Sigurd Curman / DigitaltMuseum / Wikimedia Commons. Each object record states whether the image is store evidence or street context.

The family-held night photograph records the illuminated glazed wall and display windows of the Martiniplan 10 store; the surviving frame does not show the complete façade. The family kept this night view of the business. Because the frame cuts off the building, it cannot stand as a complete façade record.RB-PHO-0207
Mounted 1925 photograph of the Kaufhaus Reichenbach exterior at Hoher Weg and MartiniplanDaytime photograph group · 5 viewsThe façade and its streetFour municipal views document the commercial block. Sigurd Curman’s 1909 photograph is contextual, not a view of Hoher Weg 27.Open the five street views

Select any view for a larger image, source and archive details.

Kaufhaus Reichenbach exteriorAH-F-05499cOpen source record
Kaufhaus Reichenbach façadeAH-F-05556Open source record
Hoher Weg 35–27 and Martiniplan 10AH-F-08662Open source record
Hoher Weg toward MartiniplanAH-F-DS-0099Open source record
Hoher Weg with MartinikircheCOMMONS-CURMAN-1909Open source record

The commercial block after dark · c. 1935

The windows changed the street at night.

The direct slide identifies Kaufhaus Reichenbach within Martiniplan 10, 9 and 8, opposite No. 11. Its long row of illuminated windows shows the store as part of a larger nighttime retail environment rather than an isolated façade.

A mounted print of the same scene adds a handwritten 1935 identification and preserves the museum’s paper mount.

Night view across Martiniplan with illuminated shop windows and the glazed Kaufhaus Reichenbach façade at rightMunicipal photograph group · 2 viewsHoher Weg and Martiniplan at nightThe direct museum slide is followed by a mounted print bearing a handwritten 1935 identification.Open all views

Select any view for a larger image, source and archive details.

At night, the block becomes a field of illuminated display windows. The museum record identifies Martiniplan 11 at left and Nos. 10, 9 and 8 at right, including Kaufhaus Reichenbach.AH-F-DS-0070Open source record
The mounted print preserves a brighter version of the same night scene and the museum's handwritten 1935 identification. It shows the same scene as the direct slide; it does not document a separate night or a second view of the building.AH-F-04125Open source record

The store’s own printed rooms

Twelve advertising stamps

The surviving Reklamemarken lead from the façade through the light court, staircase, sales floors, fitting room and workshops.

1866–1905 · four notices

The firm passes through the family

On 22 March 1866, the Prussian state gazette placed Jacob Reichenbach in Halberstadt’s firm register as owner of J. Reichenbach. It is the first public register act yet found, though the house’s own advertisements continued to give 1843 as the founding year.

Three years later Wernigerode was registered as a branch while Jacob was alive, with Adolph authorized to sign pp. J. Reichenbach. After Jacob’s death, the 13 March 1873 notice says the business passed durch Erbgang—by inheritance—to Helene and their sons Ludwig, Adolph and Gustav. On 4 April 1905, Gustav and Goldine left the partnership and Ludwig continued alone.

On 22 March 1866 the Prussian state gazette recorded merchant Jacob Reichenbach as the owner of J. Reichenbach in Halberstadt firm register no. 289. This is the first public register act yet found for Jacob’s firm. The business’s own advertisements continued to give 1843 as its founding year, so the notice registers an existing house rather than dating its beginning.RB-SCAN-GAZ-1866
The notice of 19 February 1869 registers Wernigerode as a branch of the Halberstadt house while Jacob Reichenbach was still alive. Under Prokura no. 12, Adolph Reichenbach was authorized to sign “pp. J. Reichenbach.” It ties the two Harz cities to one business during Jacob’s lifetime.RB-SCAN-GAZ-1869
After Jacob’s death on 17 December 1872, the gazette recorded that the business passed durch Erbgang—by inheritance—to his widow Helene née Heinemann and their sons Ludwig, Adolph and Gustav. The 13 March 1873 notice places Ludwig in Halberstadt, Adolph in Wernigerode and Gustav in Goslar, and registers the house as general partnership no. 110. It names a family succession, not a sale.RB-SCAN-GAZ-1873
On 4 April 1905 the Reichsanzeiger recorded Gustav Reichenbach and the widowed Goldine Reichenbach leaving the partnership. Ludwig Reichenbach continued J. Reichenbach alone. The notice gives the legal change; it does not describe the family decisions behind it.RB-SCAN-GAZ-1905

The records behind the store

One address, several businesses

In 1905, Ludwig Reichenbach appears as merchant of J. Reichenbach, court purveyor of men’s and women’s fashions, at Hoher Weg 27—printed in the directory as “Hoheweg.” A separate full-page advertisement signs the firm “J. Reichenbach, Halberstadt, Herzogl. Hoflieferant,” identifying the title as ducal; the particular duchy remains unknown.

In 1914, the address book names Ludwig and Willy Reichenbach as proprietors of J. Reichenbach and Paul and Ernst Reichenbach as proprietors of Paul’s women’s-fashion business. The printed listings name the proprietors but do not show their ownership shares or every legal relationship; Willy’s place in the family tree remains unknown.

In 1928, the directory again lists J. Reichenbach for men’s and boys’ clothing and Paul Reichenbach for women’s fashion at Hoher Weg 27 and Martiniplan 10, naming Paul and Ernst as proprietors. The 1917 award notice independently places Paul at Hoher Weg 27; the notice itself prints “Hoheweg.” The 1938 directory still shows both firms, while a printed correction deletes Paul’s women’s-clothing entry. That correction does not tell us exactly when or how the business closed.

Martiniplan 10 passed through Ludwig, Kurt, Paul’s firm, and later Ernst and Margarete in the land register. The sequence of owners is known, but the circumstances of every transfer are not.

The 1914 business directory places J. Reichenbach and Paul Reichenbach on the same page. J. Reichenbach appears under men’s and boys’ clothing; Paul Reichenbach appears under women’s clothing, both at Hoheweg 27 and Martiniplan 10.RB-DOC-0215Open source record

The business in its own words

From confirmation suits to 1,500 winter coats

The advertisements show a large, confident business with deep inventory and several kinds of customer. An early clipping directly courts Christian families buying clothing for confirmation students. By 1902, J. Reichenbach advertised in-house production and a stock of 1,500 winter coats.

In 1931, the firm presented itself as Halberstadt’s leading house for men’s, boys’ and occupational clothing. These records show a Jewish-owned store marketing broadly across the city; they cannot establish exact sales or profits.

A full-page advertisement presents J. Reichenbach as a large clothing manufacturer and retailer, with 1,500 winter coats and its own workshops.RB-DOC-0208Open source record
Reichenbach spring clothing and textile advertisement, 28 February 1930RB-DOC-0229Open source record
Clean crop of a J. Reichenbach newspaper advertisement naming the leading house for men's, boys' and occupational clothingTwo newspaper issues · 2 viewsJ. Reichenbach advertisement in Das ReichsbannerThe same advertisement appears in the 31 October and 14 November 1931 issues.Open all views

Select any view for a larger image, source and archive details.

This small advertisement appeared in the Halberstadt section of Das Reichsbanner on 31 October 1931, two weeks before the second surviving copy. The number 1910 printed inside the notice appears to be an advertiser index, not a date for the firm.RB-DOC-0212Open source record
The advertisement appeared again in the Halberstadt section of Das Reichsbanner on 14 November 1931, preserving the same message in a second issue. The repeated printing shows that the business continued to advertise through the city paper; it does not identify who chose or placed the notice.RB-DOC-0207Open source record
An early advertisement names Hoherweg 513 and offers confirmation suits in fine and inexpensive grades, guaranteed for cloth and workmanship. The clipping preserves what the shop sold, but its surviving photograph does not establish an issue title or date.RB-DOC-0209Open source record
A round advertising button presents J. Reichenbach as Halberstadt's largest specialist house for men's and boys' fashions; its maker's line names S. Münz of Nuremberg.RB-OBJ-0024Open source record
This small Halberstadt advertisement reads “P. Reichenbach / Damenbekleidung / Stammhaus gegr. 1843.” It shows the women’s-clothing firm still advertising nearly two years after Paul’s death, now to readers of a national Jewish veterans’ newspaper. Its placement in Der Schild does not make Paul or the firm an office of the Reichsbund jüdischer Frontsoldaten.RB-DOC-0227Open source record

8 October 1937 · Der Schild

The women’s-clothing firm still advertised after Paul’s death

Nearly two years after Paul died, a small national advertisement still offered P. Reichenbach women’s clothing and repeated the house’s 1843 founding date. It ran in Der Schild, the newspaper of the Jewish veterans’ association. That placement shows the firm addressing Jewish readers; it does not name Paul or the business to an RjF office.

The Prussian award notification naming Paul Reichenbach and Hoheweg 27. The notice proves the award and gives Paul’s business address. It does not say that he served in combat or identify a specific act that prompted the honor.RB-SCAN-019

Patriotism and its cost

Patriotism at Hoheweg 27.

The 1917 notice awarded Paul Reichenbach the Verdienstkreuz für Kriegshilfe for his particular activity in patriotic auxiliary service. It addresses him as a merchant at Hoheweg 27, connecting that public service to the family business address. The document does not say exactly what Paul or the firm supplied, organized or financed.

Paul’s granddaughter Susan Reichenbach Heyman remembers an inherited account that Paul brought money held in Switzerland back to Germany and ultimately lost it. No bank, tax or foreign-exchange record has yet corroborated that account, so the archive preserves it as family testimony rather than financial fact. The family’s reflection about what the funds might have meant for flight is a counterfactual reflection, not a documented conclusion.

Family testimony: Susan Reichenbach Heyman oral-history notes, 5 August 2026 (RB-OH-0001) ↗ The shared notes are a generated meeting summary, not a verbatim transcript.

A customer’s memory · posted 6 May 2008

A warning remembered across generations

Jutta Keil recorded a story told by her mother, who was born near Halberstadt in 1925. Her mother remembered visiting the Reichenbach store with her parents, including after the November 1938 pogrom. The archive identifies the “old Herr Reichenbach” in this account as Kurt Reichenbach.

Meine Mutter wurde 1925 als Bauerstochter in einem Dorf bei Halberstadt geboren und war nach der Grundschulzeit Schülerin im Pensionat in Halberstadt. Sie hat mir bis zu ihrem Tode viel über ihre Kindheit und Jugend erzählt.

Aber immer hatte sie beschäftigt, was wohl mit dem alten Herrn Reichenbach geschehen ist. Sie war mit ihren Eltern öfter bei Reichenbachs, mit ihrem Vater auch noch nach der Progromnacht. Ihr Vater, der 1940 starb, kaufte dort in der Herrenabteilung ein, sie sagte Reichenbachs waren bekannt für die gute Tuchabteilung. Es muss eine ganz bedrückte Stimmung geherrscht haben; als sie dann nochmals zu dem alten Herrn Reichenbach kamen, bat er meinen Großvater, nicht wiederzukommen, da es ja inzwischen für sie verboten war, dort zu kaufen. Meine Mutter sagte: Hoffentlich konnten sie sich retten.

Als ich im letzten Jahr mit meinem Mann in Halberstadt war, haben wir das Denkmal gesehen u. auch gesehen, dass keiner zurückgekommen ist.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Jutta Keil

In English: Keil’s mother remembered that the Reichenbach store was known for its cloth department. On a later visit, amid an oppressive atmosphere, Kurt asked Keil’s grandfather not to return because it had by then become forbidden for the family to shop there. Keil’s mother continued to hope that the Reichenbach family had escaped.

Source: Jutta Keil, comment posted 6 May 2008 to “Reichenbach, Familie,” Juden im alten Halberstadt. The vanished page survives in an Internet Archive capture dated 2 August 2016 ↗. The German text above is reproduced exactly, including the original spelling “Progromnacht.” The English paragraph is an archive summary, not a verbatim translation.

Can you help identify this family? The archive has not been able to identify the commenter beyond the name Jutta Keil. Her mother and maternal grandparents also remain unidentified. If you know who she was, or have information about her family, please contact the archive.

Through this family

Prosperity did not protect ownership

The store, property, travel and civic records describe a prosperous Jewish merchant family. Under Nazi rule, that standing became something the state and private buyers could exploit. Across Germany, “Aryanization” transferred Jewish-owned businesses and property to non-Jews through discriminatory law, pressure and sales made far below their value.

The archive can prove that mechanism directly at the family’s Wernigerode property, where the 1938 deed identifies Fritz as a Jew and requires official approval. For Halberstadt, a 1941 administrative list records Paul Reichenbach’s firm as “Aryanized by” Mennigen & Co. The list identifies the successor but not the price, purchase instrument or relationship between the business transfer and title to the building. Prosperity is part of the record; so are the limits of what it could protect.

Sources and evidence: USHMM: Aryanization · Halberstadt Aryanization list · Fritz Reichenbach’s forced-sale deed

The administrative record · 1 April 1941

The state’s own list names the successor.

Under “Kreis Halberstadt,” the headings read “Jüdische Firma” and “Arisiert durch”—“Jewish firm” and “Aryanized by.” The entry places Paul Reichenbach opposite Mennigen & Co. K.-G.

This is direct evidence of the Aryanization succession, but it is not the purchase contract. It does not give the exact transfer date, price, notarial instrument or property-title mechanism.

Under ‘Kreis Halberstadt,’ the official list places ‘Paul Reichenbach, Halberstadt’ opposite ‘Mennigen & Co. K.-G.’ beneath the headings ‘Jüdische Firma’ and ‘Arisiert durch.’ This is direct administrative evidence that Mennigen & Co. was recorded as the Aryanization successor to Paul Reichenbach’s business. It is not the purchase contract.RB-DOC-0222Open source record

The address book · 1940

Mennigen’s textile house is still at Martiniplan 10.

The street-and-house register names “Halberst. Textilhaus Mennigen & Co.” at the exact former Reichenbach address. A separate alphabetical entry names Hans Mennigen as a Halberstadt merchant.

The directory does not say whether Hans Mennigen owned, managed or worked for the company. The shared surname makes the connection worth investigating, but it is not yet known.

The 1940 street-and-house register places ‘Halberst. Textilhaus Mennigen & Co.’ at Martiniplan 10. It independently confirms that the documented Aryanization successor remained in the former Reichenbach premises two years after the HATEX winter-sale handbills.RB-DOC-0223Open source record
The alphabetical residents’ register names Hans Mennigen as a merchant, living at Buchhornstraße 8a and reachable at telephone 2116. It establishes a local merchant of the same uncommon surname, but the entry does not identify his role in Mennigen & Co.RB-DOC-0224Open source record
An illustrated postcard turns the former Reichenbach façade into an advertisement for HATEX, Mennigen & Co. The roofline carries enormous HATEX letters; the Reichenbach name has disappeared. Read beside the official Aryanization list, the image gives the transfer of a Jewish family’s commercial world an unusually direct visual and emotional force.RB-PHO-0334Open source record

The erasure made visible · listed as 1943

The building remains. The Reichenbach name is gone.

The illustrated postcard turns the former department-store façade into HATEX advertising. Enormous letters rise above the roofline; “HATEX, Mennigen & Co.” occupies the storefront where the Reichenbach businesses had stood.

The postcard is known through a watermarked marketplace photograph. The seller supplied the date 1943, but no reverse or postmark was available, so that date remains unverified. The visible card reads “Mennigen”; the listing title misspells it “Meiningen.”

HATEX winter clearance handbills listing goods and prices in Halberstadt and WernigerodeFamily-held commercial ephemera · 2 viewsHATEX winter-sale handbillsFamily-held handbills identify the company as HATEX, Mennigen & Co., Martiniplan 10, and advertise both Halberstadt and Wernigerode.Open all views

Select any view for a larger image, source and archive details.

‘Winter-Schluss-Verkauf’ handbills name ‘HATEX, Mennigen & Co., Martiniplan 10, Halberstadt’ and list the Wernigerode branch. Read with the official Aryanization list, they establish HATEX as the trading name used by Mennigen & Co., the firm recorded as successor to Paul Reichenbach’s business.RB-PHO-0152
A second view preserves the full arrangement and reverse context of the HATEX handbills. Their printed company and address now connect directly to the official record naming Mennigen & Co. as the Aryanization successor to Paul Reichenbach’s business.RB-PHO-0153
A museum comparison places a 1933 P. Reichenbach advertisement beside a 1938 Menningen & Co. advertisement for the same Martiniplan 10 address.AH-F-04102Open source record

The address in public print · 1933–1938

The name above the same façade changed.

A museum comparison places a 1933 advertisement for P. Reichenbach beside a 1938 advertisement for the Halberstädter Textilhaus Menningen & Co. at Martiniplan 10. The museum caption uses the spelling “Menningen”; the official list and HATEX handbills read “Mennigen.”

Read together, the comparison, handbills, postcard and official list establish the documented commercial chain. They do not supply the purchase instrument, transaction price, exact transfer date or complete later legal history.